Tuesday, January 9, 2018 • by Brooke Frederickson, RMISA
SNOWBASIN, Utah & WEST YELLOWSTONE, Mont.—The RMISA teams compete this week at the alpine portion of the Utah Invitational at Snowbasin from Jan. 11-13 while the Nordic team is at the Montana State Invitational in West Yellowstone, Mont., at the Rendezvous Ski Trails from Jan. 13-14.
The alpiners open the Utah Invitational with the womenís giant slalom on Thursday, Jan. 11, with the menís GS following on Friday, Jan. 12. Both the menís and womenís slalom run on Saturday, Jan. 13. Live results can be followed at http://ussalivetiming.com/.
The Nordic team competes in the womenís 5-km and menís 10-km freestyle races on Saturday, Jan. 13, with the womenís 15-km and menís 20-km classic races on Sunday, Jan. 14. Colorado leads the MSU Invite after the alpine events with 306 points, followed by Denver (294), Montana State (276), New Mexico (272) and Utah (263.5) in the top five.
- In three races this year, each womenís race has had a different winner with Coloradoís Tonje Trulsrud, New Mexicoís Katharine Irwin and Alaska Anchorageís Charley Field all winning races. Irwin and Field were both first time winners.
- Utahís Ann-Kathrin Breuning is the only womenís skier to finish in the top five in all three races this year.
- Coloradoís Trulsrud has a league-high two womenís podium finishes this year.
- Coloradoís Ola Johnasen has won two of three menís races this season with Montana Stateís Garret Driller also picking up a win. Johnasen has been on the podium in all three races this season.
- Montana Stateís Driller and New Mexicoís Vegard Busengdal both have two podium finishes this year.
- Trulsrud and Johnasen were named the womenís and menís RMISA skiers of the week for the Montana State Invitational.
- In womenís Nordic, Coloradoís Petra Hyncicova and Denverís Jasmi Joensuu each have a victory this year.
- Hyncicova and Alaska Anchorageís Hailey Swirbul have been on the podium in both races this year. They are the only skiers who have finished in the top five of both races thus far.
- Denverís Dag Trolleboe and Utahís Marin Bergstroem each have a win on the menís side this year.
- Trolleboe and DU teammate Eivind Kvaale each have two podium finishes this year. In addition, Ute teammates Bergstroem and Haakon Hjelstuen join them as the only four skiers who have been in the top five of both races.
- Hyncicova and Trolleboe were named the womenís and menís Nordic RMISA skiers of the week for the U.S. Cross Country Championships.